Monday, March 9, 2020

Colors

Another thing I love experimenting with is colors. Painting is kinda funny, because sometimes I will start painting, and I don't know why, but none of the colors I mix, seem very vibrant or deep. Then other times, the colors just jump off the paper, they almost seem alive. Here are six examples where, for me, the colors just came alive, and helped create paintings I just love.

I haven't titled all of these, and the ones I have titled, I don't remember the titles without going and digging the paintings out of storage. So you can title them, whatever you want. This first painting, was a painting which I had started just to use up the paint I had out on my palette. I happened to mix a blue and a green I produced the color you see. I got excited and started using new colors and paints already out, but when I quit I thrilled with the painting. It isn't very large, because I was originally just trying to use up my paint. You know  . .waste not, want not . . . .



This painting, I was out at a local park in my area, (for those familiar with the Kearney, NE area . .Cottonmill Park) and decided since it was mid-October or so, I was going to capture the colors of the tree leaves.The trees are around a lake at the park. I started but once again got distracted by the colors and how vibrant the seemed in the afternoon sunlight. Quite quickly my focus changed from capturing the color of the leaves of the trees, to just capturing the colors forming on my paper. I love the colors and the movement of the painting. It almost looks like vines hanging from the trees. But it doesn't look like an autumn day in the middle of Nebraska.


This painting is one in which I love the way the colors work off of each other. This painting originally was going to be a abstract painting of the sun rising on Easter morning. But again, I got distracted by the colors, and the movement, and just let myself go. I still think of Easter when I look at this painting, but without the back story, I doubt anyone else does. . .But they are sorta Easter colors . . .


This painting was another Spring painting. After being in my backyard, I came inside, and after everyone was asleep I was still thinking of the new green growth in the backyard, and that was my mindset as I started this painting. I don't remember what made me use some much gray and white to create movement in this painting, but it seems to work for me. I look at this painting and see beauty, and it calms my soul, which is a bit surprising with all the crazy movement in gray and white.



These next two paintings posted backward, in that the bottom one should be first, but that is alright. I will explain them anyway. These two were painted the same night. I was attempting to mix a pinkish red, for the background of the bottom painting. When I felt I was successful, I was blown away by the color I had produced, and so I wanted to feature that color as main color for another painting. So I did, but again somehow got attached to the white paint, and added it into the mix. I still think the painting works. I also like some of the texture I was able to create in the painting, using the pink and white on red.


    The blue in the bottom painting helps tone down the red abit, but it also has to do with my camera and the flash and how close I was, when I took the photograph. This painting always makes me think of my Mom. I don't know why, but she always comes to mind, and the more that can happen in my life the better, because my Mom was an amazing, amazing person.



No comments:

Post a Comment