Wednesday, September 9, 2020

Gospel of Doug: Relationship with Others

First Reading:  Ezekiel 33:7-9 Thus says the LORD: You, son of man, I have appointed watchman for the house of Israel; when you hear me say anything, you shall warn them for me.  IF I tell the wicked, “O wicked one, you shall surely die,” and you do not speak out to dissuade the wicked from his way, the wicked shall die for his guilt, but I will hold you responsible for his death.  But if you warn the wicked, trying to turn him from his way, and he refuses to turn from his way, he shall die for his guilt, but you shall save yourself. 
-----------------------------
    This was one of the readings for Mass Sept. 6, 2020, it is always a reading which makes me a bit uncomfortable, and I find myself wanting to raise my hand and complain. It is hard enough to attempt to live  good Christian life myself, and save myself, and yet I am going be held responsible for someone else's wicked ways. And if in a sense, if I don't speak out, I basically risk my relationship with God.  Aren't we told not to judge others, we have no idea what they are going through, nor do we know what their relationship with God is, maybe they believe they have a good relationship with God, and maybe they do, maybe they even have a better relationship with God than I do. For me, this reading or command, always seems like a catch-22. First we have to decide who is wicked. Am I wicked? Yes, probably sometimes I am. How would I feel about someone approaching me, and speaking out on my actions and or beliefs. I would hope I would listen, but I doubt I would, I would probably just get pissed off at the person, and maybe unfriend them on facebook. If you read the rest of  Chapter 33, it doesn't get any easier. But basically we are called to speak out for the Truth, and the Right, and what God has laid down as the law in scripture. God is asking us to stand up for Him and for His people. We should condemn abortion and homosexuality as sins, even when we seem in the minority. We must quit rationalizing everything, and take definite stands. This has nothing to do with judging, or imposing our beliefs on anyone. We are to stand for God's word. If we know His word, we will know wickedness  when we encounter it. Ultimately this is about love.  God's love for each of us, and our love for God. But that doesn't make it any easier . . . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment