Saturday, February 27, 2021

Reflection: A Smile

 My dad was always speeding when driving, and he usually got caught, but that didn't stop him. He actually hired me to drive him around while he did his business, because he had lost so many points on his driver's license, he was about to lose his license. He was a real estate agent who sold ranch land. This poem was inspired by a waitress at stop in Burwell, Nebraska. 

A Smile

she smiled a smile, I knew reserved for me,

an outsider,

pretty,

hers, the only smile we saw,

our business to list and sell the biggest ranch around,

priced out of reach of the local population,

I wished we were spending the night,

but sadly,

we ate,

and drove away,

she was gone,

by the time we made our next trip,

but I remember her smile.



No comments:

Post a Comment